Here’s some more inspiring quotes for those preparing for a shinsa or shiai on the topics of:
- Winning and
- “Guts are a combination of confidence, courage, conviction, strength of character, stick-to-itiveness, pugnaciousness, backbone, and intestinal fortitude. They are mandatory for anyone who wants to get to and stay at the top.” – D.A. Benton
- “It is your determination and persistence that will make you a successful person.” – Kenneth J. Hutchins.
- “I ran and ran and ran every day, and I acquired this sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened.” – Wilma Rudolph.
- “The determination to win is the better part of winning.” – Daisaku Ikeda
- “Men who know exactly what they want of life, and are determined to get it, do not stop with wishing. They intensify their wishes into a burning desire, and back that desire with continuous effort based on a sound plan.” – Andrew Carnegie.
- “Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is.” – Zig Ziglar.
- “You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave–win or lose.” – Gordie Howe.
- “I think my greatest victory was every time I walked out there, I gave it everything I had. I left everything out there. That’s what I’m most proud of.” – Jimmy Conners.
- “It takes superhuman effort to focus on a task when you’re surrounded by distractions. But when you remove distractions in advance, no such effort is required: concentration flows.” – Nick Winter.
- “The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.” – Vince Lombardi.
- “There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it.” – Napoleon Hill.
- “Competing at the highest level is not about winning. It’s about preparation, courage, understanding and nurturing your people, and heart. Winning is the result.” – Joe Torre.
- “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- “You learn more from losing than winning. You learn how to keep going.” – Morgan Wootten.
- “Losing is part of the game. If you never lose, you are never truly tested, and never forced to grow.” – David Sirlin
- “If you learn from a loss you have not lost.” – Austin O’Malley.
- “Losing is no disgrace if you’ve given your best.” – Jim Palmer.
- “Most players … do not like losing, and consider defeat as something shameful. This is a wrong attitude. Those who wish to perfect themselves must regard their losses as lessons and learn from them what sorts of things to avoid in the future.” – Jose Capablanca.