There are many resources on meditation. I have compiled a small list below of some that I have found helpful or that seem helpful. It is intended to help me find them in the future and for others who may be interested in meditation. It is organized in terms of: Articles (mostly), Videos, Audio Recordings, Books, CDs, Programs, Websites and Quotes on Meditation. Some kendo-related articles in English (which appear to be few in number) are included. I will likely update the list as I discover more. Peace.
Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded. – Buddha
- Introduction to Meditation
- Mayo Clinic, “Meditation: A simple, fast way to reduce stress.” (PDF 4 pages).
- Arnie Kozak, “Meditation Made Simple – Seven Considerations to Get You Started,” (PDF, 16 pages).
- An Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation, HiveLogic.com, April 30, 2009.
- Gil Fronsdal “Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation,” UrbanDharma.org, 2007. (This is a comprehensive resource with audio recordings and PDF articles listed at the bottom of the page).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, “Five Steps to Mindfulness,” (PDF, 5 pages).
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation
- Why Meditate?
- Nancy Colier, “Why Meditate? – How not trying to change creates change!” Psychology Today, Jan 29, 2013.
- Matthieu Ricard, “Why Should I Meditate?” Lion’s Roar, June 18, 2018.
- Kristine Bruneau, “Why I meditate?” KristineBruneau.com, June 24, 2018.
- Evan Lenz, “Why I meditate?” EvanLenz.com, May 28, 2013.
- U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services, National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, “Meditation,” Apr 25, 2016. (PDF, 8 pages). Includes about two pages worth of references.
- Difference Between Meditation and Thinking
- Ways to Meditate
Note: articles earmarked with an asterisk * describe two contrasting approaches to meditation: Focused Attention Meditation and Open Monitoring Meditation.
- Giovanni, “Types of Meditation – An Overview of 23 Meditation Techniques,” LiveAndDare.com,*
- Eugene K. Choi, “Meditation for Beginners: How to Meditate Deeply and Quickly,” LifeHack.org, June 13, 2018.*
- Dominique P. Lippelt, Bernhard Hommel and Lorenza S. Colzato, “Focused attention, open monitoring and loving kindness meditation: effects on attention, conflict monitoring, and creativity – A review,” Frontiers in Psychology, Sept 23, 2014 (PDF, 5 pages).*
- Leo Babauta, “Meditation for Beginners: 20 Practical Tips for Understanding the Mind,” ZenHabits.net.
- Amit, “15 Tips to watch thoughts | How to witness thoughts or thinking,” The Spiritual Indian, Feb 7, 2016.
- Tara Brach, “How to Meditate,” (PDF, 8 pages)
- Relaxation and Relaxation Exercises, traumacenter.org (PDF, 7 pages).
- Related to Thoughts, Thinking and “Thoughting”
- Gil Fronsdal, “Mindfulness of Thoughts (Week 4)” (Transcription of a Talk), Insight Meditation Center, Jan 30, 2008. (I found this talk very helpful.)
- Dennis Warren, “Thinking and Thoughts – The Role of Thinking in Meditation,” Guiding Instructor, Sacramento Insight Meditation
- “Awareness of Thoughts and Emotions,” (PDF, 5 pages) (Originally developed by Jon Kabat Zinn, with additional development by Mark Williams, John Teasdale and Zindel Segal.)
- Nancy Colier:
- Nancy Colier, “Why Our Thoughts Are Not Real – One physical world, but billions of different internal worlds.” Psychology Today, Aug, 23, 2013.
- Nancy Colier, “Breaking Free from the Tyranny of Thought: Stop Feeding Your Mind and it Will Stop Biting You,” NancyColier.com, Aug 10, 2013.
- Nancy Colier, “How Thoughts Get in the Way of Being Present,” NancyColier.com, August 11, 2018.
- Peter Cutler, “Map of Consciousness,” N-lightenment.com (PDF, 1 page).*
- Bhante Gunaratana, “Dealing with Distractions – II,” (Chapter 12 of Mindfulness in Plain English) vipassana.com.
- Postures and Positions
- “Meditation Positions: Finding a Posture That Works for You,” OneMindDharma.com.
- Wee Peng Ho, “6 Meditation Positions That Are Gentle to Your Back,” TheConcsiousLife.com. (including an “astronaut pose” lying down with the legs raised and resting on a chair).
- Related to Letting Go and Surrendering
- Monty Winters, “Die Before You Die,” MontyWinters.com, July 28, 2013.
- Light Watkins, “Quieting Your Thoughts: Effortless Meditation Techniques for Busy People with Busy Minds,” Conscious Lifestyle Magazine. (Describes an E.A.S.Y. Embrace, Accept, Surrender, Yield approach to meditating).
- Michael W. Taft, DeconstructingYourself.com:
- Sadhguru, “Meditation: The End of Suffering,” Huffington Post, Jan 3, 2013.
- Metaphor of a Mind like a Calm Pool of Water
- Ways to Find Time to Meditate
- Related to Kendo
- Geoff Salmon, “Ten rai wo kike,” kendoinfo.net, Aug 1, 2009.
- “Mokuso and breathing,” shugo-nanseikan.blogspot.com, Sept 22, 2011. (focused more on the breathing aspect)
- “Mindfulness with Jon Kabat-Zinn,” (1 hr, 12 minutes), Presented at Google, Nov 2007.
- Gil Fronsdal, “Freedom from Thinking,” insightmed, May 14, 2018 (37:53 mins). (Very insightful).
- Archive of Many Talks by Gil Fronsdal with the Insight Meditation Center, AudioDharma.org.
- Available Openly On-Line
- Available in Hardcopy
- Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn, Chapter 8 “Seeing Thoughts as Creations of the Mind” of The Mindful Way through Depression – Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, 2007.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn,
- Full Catastrophe Living – Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness, May 1, 1990.
- Wherever You Go, There You Are – Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life, 2005.
- Matthieu Ricard, Why Meditate? – Working with Thoughts and Emotions.
- Joel S. Goldsmith, Beyond Words and Thoughts, Acropolis Books, Oct 1998. (Kindly recommended to me by a teacher).
- Jack Kornfield, “Guided Meditations for Difficult Times.”
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) – an eight-week program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Univ. of Mass. Medical Center.
- Gil Fronsdal, “Mindfulness Meditation Instruction,” Insight Meditation Center.
- Jack Kornfield, JackKornfield.com
- Peter Cutler, N-lightenment.com, Living Awake with Peter.
- The Pema Chodron Foundation
- Thich Nat Hahn Foundation – Page on Mindfulness
- Michael W. Taft & Jessica Graham, Deconstructing Yourself
- Gary Weber’s happiness-beyond-thought.com (Recommended by a family member)
Quotes on Meditation