In the desire to improve in kendo and free the mind from limiting thoughts, I enjoy the practice of developing the mind and heart. Here’s a compilation of resources on the subject of mushin-no-shin 無心の心 (the mind of no mind) or, in short, mushin 無心 (no mind). They are categorized in terms of: Books, Articles (with or without kendo), Articles with Practical Suggestions and Quotes on mushin. Among them, the book entitled The Unfettered Mind (below) by the Zen Buddhist priest Takuan Soho seems particularly comprehensive and illuminating.
The most powerful point you can reach in sports and in any kind of endeavor is when you’re one with the moment. – Robert Greene [Mastery_Greene]
Books on Mushin
- Takuan Soho:
- The Unfettered Mind: Writings from a Zen Master to a Master Swordsman, Translated by William Scott Wilson, Shambhala, 2012.
- “Undisturbed Wisdom,” Translated by Dennis E. Lshka (PDF, 5 pages).
- Peter Haskel, Sword of Zen: Master Takuan and His Writings on Immovable Wisdom and the Sword Taie, Univ. of Hawai’i Press, 2012 (PDF, 33 pages).
- More resources on Takuan Soho.
- Minoru Kiyota, Kendo: Philosphy, History and Means to Personal Growth, Shambhala, 2002 (Book).
- Joe Hyams, Zen in the Martial Arts, Bantam, 1982.
- The chapter “Mushin: Let Your Mind Flow” on pp. 81-88.
Articles on Mushin and Kendo
- Geoff Salmon, “Getting lost in the moment,” KendoInfo.net, May 2004.
- George McCall, “Pursing the spirit of and modern kendo” (five-part series), kenshi247.net, 2011 (Sections 4 and 5 mention mushin).
- “Mushin”, Iaido-Aiki Toho Iaiai (PDF, 3 pages).
- Hafiz, “Mushin,” KendoMushin.Blogspot.com, Jan 2008.
Articles on Mushin in Related Arts and Sports
- “Mushin: The Mind without Mind,” Aikido-no-Sekai, Mar 23, 2014.
- Wendell E. Wilson, “Mushin and Zanshin,” MinRec.org, 2010 (PDF, 4 pages).
- Christopher Caile, “Mushin – The State of Mind,” FightingArts.com.
- NormRobitza, “Mushin: Empty Mind,” Senshin: The Enlightened Mind, Nov 27, 2012.
- Taylor Spalding, “Mushin at the Masters,” GoldenGolf.com.
- “Mushin and flow,” YSCSportsMentalEdge.com, Aug 2, 2012.
- Wikipedia: Mushin_(mental_state)
- Wikipedia: Flow (psychology)
Articles with Practical Suggestions to Shift into Mushin
- Open-Focus, Mushin and Kendo, KendoNotes.com, May 3, 2016.
- Tim Rosanelli, Two Easy Steps to Achieve a Mushin State of Mind,” Everyday Sensei, – Ancient Karate Secrets to Modern Success, Sept. 30, 2011.
- “The Zen of No Mind (or How to Live Happily in the Present),” NeuroAlchemist.com, Mar 20, 2016.
Quotes on Mushin
- Quotes related to “Mushin” can be found in Mushin, Flow and Open-Focus related Quotes.