Here’s a compilation of books, articles (with links for most of them) and sites on various aspects of kendo. The organization of the resources are presented first. Resources for beginners are listed in this article on “Resources for Beginners”.
- Available Openly On-line
- For Purchase
- Mechanics (tenouchi, sae, kinesiology)
- Tactics (Strategy, seme, Fighting an Opponent in Jodan)
- Mind Training (Mushin)
- Shiai (Competing, Refereeing)
- Body Maintenance
- Equipment Manual
Updates: Moved the Shinsa material to a separate article “Shinsa (Promotional Exam) Resources”on Oct 28, 2019.
Available Openly On-line
- Noma Hisashi (1910-1939), The Kendo Reader (PDF, 55 pages)
- Matt Jackson Sensei, Kendo Training Handbook (PDF, 84 pages)
- Kendo Curriculum – Techniques (PDF, 88 pages)
- Cary Yoshio Mizobe, Introduction to Kendo, Westside Kendo Dojo (PDF, 108 pages)
- Coaching Children – Guidelines for children’s practice in Kendo including competition (article).
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: Book of the Samurai (translated by Lapo Mori).
A Partial List of Additional Books (For Purchase) – There’s many more.
- Hiroshi Ozawa, Kendo – The definitive guide, Kodansha Int’l, 1991.
- All Japan Kendo Federation, Japan Publications:
- What is Kendo? Its Origin and Development to Date (Iaido and Jodo)
- Fundamental Kendo, 1974.
- Junzo Sasamori and Gordon Warner, This Is Kendo : The Art of Japanese Fencing.
- Noma Hisashi, Kendo Tokuhon – The Kendo Reader, edited by George McCall.
- Ogawa Kinnosuke, Teikoku Kendo Kyohon (The Kendo Textbook of Imperial Japan, 1932), edited by George McCall.
- Michael Finn, The Way and Sport of the Sword
- Paul Budden, Looking at a Far Mountain: A Study of Kendo Kata
- John J. Donohue, Complete Kendo
- Darrell Max Craig, The Heart of Kendo
- George McCall, Translation of “Takano Hiromasa’s keys to improvement in kendo,” 高野弘正先生の「上達の秘訣」, Kenshi247.net, Dec 11, 2015.
- Training Correctly
- Sae (snap)
- This section has been moved to a separate resource page on seme.
- Fighting an Opponent in Jodan
- Meditation, Breathing
- Terry Holt Sensei, The First Steps to Becoming a Referee – Basic Rules of Kendo Tournaments and Refereeing, Update, Jan 2013 (PDF, 32 pages)
- Gotha Kendo Club, Sweden, “The Guidelines – For Shiai (competitions) and Shinpan (referees),” 2001 (PDF, 20 pages).
- Gotha Kendo Club, Swden, “The Regulations of Kendo – For Shiai (competitions) and Shinpan (referees), 2001.
- AUSKF Referee Seminar Presentation (pptx)
- Stephen D. Quinlan, “Nihon Kendo no Kata & Kihon Bokuto Waza,” Kingston Kendo Club, May 19, 2014 (PDF, 85 pages).
- Kata Observations – Nihon Kendo Gata (Kata) Supplied by Jumpei Matsumoto former BKA Chief National Kendo Coach From the original writing of Noboru Shigeoka Hanshi 9th Dan.
- “Detailed Kendo Kata Notes,” Norwalk Kendo Dojo. (Includes notes and links to videos of each kata – explained in Japanese.)
- “Japan Kendo Kata, Meaning of,” by はくどー/佐々木博嗣, Hakudoh.com, Translated by Ted Imoto sensei (PDF, 6 pages).
- Ren Ma, “Warm Up and Suburi – Training for Basic Kendo Skills,” Sept 14, 2004, (PDF, 1 page)
- “Nutrition,” Maltese Kendo Federation, Mar 18, 2012.
- Kendo Equipment Manual (PDF, 51 pages) (mirror site)
- S. Quinlan, Shinai Maintenance, Oct 31, 2006 (PDF, 40 pages).
- Andy Fisher, The Complete Bogu Buying Guide, kendo-bogu.com (PDF, 14 pages).
- Dictionary for Japanese-English Kendo Terms (PDF, 50 pages)
- Glossary of Kendo Terminology, Rembuden Kendo Club (PDF, 5 pages)
- Glossary – Terms Used in Japanese Swordsmanship, Mizukan Dojo, 2005 (PDF, 12 pages)
- Stephen D. Quinlan, Kingston Kendo, “Counting, Commands, & Glossary of Common Terms in Kendo,”, Apr 3, 2012 (14 pages, PDF).
- The language of Kendo, Maltese Kendo Federation, Mar 18, 2012.
- Fine Ladies Kendo Worldwide – The First Ever Women’s Kendo Magazine
- kenshi24/7.net – Kendo all day, everyday
- kendoinfo.net – Kendo information from Geoff Salmon Sensei
- kendo-world.com – Crossing Swords & Borders
- Kendo-Guide.com – Instructions on Kendo
- Kendo Philosophy
- Kendopark.net – News and Topics
- Kendó kultúra
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Kendo Club – Resources Page
- Kenshi Journal – Kendo Musings
- Maltese Kendo Federation – Articles
- Tozando Weblog
- Tozando Kendo Articles
- Tsurugi no Michi – O Espírito Marcial has a nice list of websites under “Recomendados”
- The Budo Bum (with writings on the philosophical aspects of budo)
Keywords: Blog, Blogs