Here’s a compilation of articles (with links for most of them) and sites on various aspects of kendo. Those for beginners are listed in Resources for Beginners.
- Guidebooks on Kendo
- Mechanics (tenouchi, sae, kinesiology)
- Tactics (Strategy, seme, Fighting an Opponent in Jodan)
- Mind Training (Mushin)
- Shiai (Competing, Refereeing)
- Shinsa (Experiences, Kata)
- Body Maintenance
- Equipment Manual
- Etiquette, Terminology
- Noma Hisashi (1910-1939), The Kendo Reader (PDF, 55 pages)
- Matt Jackson Sensei, Kendo Training Handbook (PDF, 84 pages)
- Kendo Curriculum – Techniques (PDF, 88 pages)
- Cary Yoshio Mizobe, Introduction to Kendo, Westside Kendo Dojo (PDF, 108 pages)
- Coaching Children – Guidelines for children’s practice in Kendo including competition (article).
Related Books Available On-line
- George McCall, Translation of “Takano Hiromasa’s keys to improvement in kendo,” 高野弘正先生の「上達の秘訣」, Kenshi247.net, Dec 11, 2015.
- Sae (snap)
- This section has been moved to a separate resource page on seme.
- Fighting an Opponent in Jodan
- Meditation, Breathing
- Terry Holt Sensei, The First Steps to Becoming a Referee – Basic Rules of Kendo Tournaments and Refereeing, Update, Jan 2013 (PDF, 32 pages)
- Gotha Kendo Club, Sweden, “The Guidelines – For Shiai (competitions) and Shinpan (referees),” 2001 (PDF, 20 pages).
- Gotha Kendo Club, Swden, “The Regulations of Kendo – For Shiai (competitions) and Shinpan (referees), 2001.
- AUSKF Referee Seminar Presentation (pptx)
- In the Pursuit of Kendo – A Guide to the requirements for passing grades up to and including 5th DAN, compiled and translated by Jeff Humm, 7th Dan Renshi (PDF, 19 pages)
- Personal Experiences:
- Yano Nobuhiro “My route to hachidan 八段への道筋,” (translated by George McCall), Jan 11, 2018, Kenshi247.net. (includes excellent tips)
- “Interview with Yukuo Iwao sensei on Passing 8th Dan,” (translated by Kazuyo Matsuda), Kendojidai 3.2010.
- Boris Jansen, “Embrace the Failing”, Kendo-World.com, v7.2, 2014 (6th Dan shinsa experience).
- Ren Ma, “Warm Up and Suburi – Training for Basic Kendo Skills,” Sept 14, 2004, (PDF, 1 page)
- “Nutrition,” Maltese Kendo Federation, Mar 18, 2012.
- Kendo Equipment Manual (PDF, 51 pages) (mirror site)
- S. Quinlan, Shinai Maintenance, Oct 31, 2006 (PDF, 40 pages).
- Tyler Rothmar, “What Sensei Do,” Kendo-World.com, 3.4, 2007 (hand signals).
- Glossary of Terms:
- kenshi24/7.net – Kendo all day, everyday
- kendoinfo.net – Kendo information from Geoff Salmon Sensei
- kendo-world.com – Crossing Swords & Borders
- Kendo-Guide.com – Instructions on Kendo
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Kendo Club – Resources Page
- Kenshi Journal – Kendo Musings
- Maltese Kendo Federation – Articles